Earlier this year we made a much needed jump into the world of high performance reels by bringing Hatch reels into our shop. Up to that point we focused on quality and price point going hand in hand, but what it all boils down to is you pay for quality. We have found that as our customers have evolved and have come to understand gear better, price is not such an issue.
With any reel regardless of the price point there are a few key characteristics that have to be met in order for them to be considered any level of quality. Strong smooth drags and overall durability are an absolute must on any platform. Any of the reels that we carry meet that criteria to some degree otherwise they would not be in our shop. Hatch has taken that standard to a whole new level.
As most things in Wyoming up and coming things tend to be things that the rest of the world has been well aware of for some time. Not always a bad thing, but to a gear head not where we really want to be. For the guy that still refers to his reel as a line holder you may not totally grasp what companies like Hatch are all about…… here are some of the very basic reasons us diehards are willing to cough up the $$$.
- Drag System – Closest thing to bombproof you will ever see. Maintenance free and sealed to keep dirt and grime out. This along with being built with cutting edge components, this self-contained drag system will withstand years if not a lifetime of use.
- Versatility – Most of us have very specific uses that we intend on using our reels for. Hatch has catered to that by offering a mid or large arbor in all of their models. This offers immense options as far as line weights and backing capacities. Offering models that will accommodate a wide range of line weights it is pretty hard to beat.
- Did We Say Bombproof – Get your hands on one of these reels and it does not take a machinist to understand that these reels are built to last. The entire frame of these reels are machined with out of a solid block of aluminum. This eliminates the use of screws for the reel foot which again provides a much more durable reel. The quality of the aluminum, thickness, overall tolerances, and top notch machine work puts Hatch reels ahead of the competition.
- Overall Quality – Whether it be a picture, in your local shops case or in your hands on the river these reels set the bar pretty high.
- Customer Service – Hatch Outdoors is a top notch company that not only provides a product made in the USA, but also back their product…… what more can you ask for??